For me, 2017 was an awesome year because of my son. He was born in December 2016, so 2017 brought all kinds of milestones – his first smile, his first laugh, rolling over, sitting up, crawling, and now he’s creeping along the furniture. It is so amazing watching this perfect little person grow and develop.
As I write this, it occurs to me that I did not do much growing this year. I don’t think I accomplished any of my 2017 resolutions. I have stacks of unfinished projects all over our house and garage. I started out the year losing weight but ended up gaining overall. And I’m stressed out about work more than half of the time.
So I think this year I’m going to set attainable goals that will help me de-stress and feel better about myself.
- I commit to de-cluttering our entire house by the end of 2018. I’ve already joined a group of online mom friends who are doing the same and we are going to keep each other accountable.
- I will exercise for at least 30 minutes every day. Whether I’m hopping on the treadmill, doing an exercise DVD with Will, or taking Emmett for a walk in the neighborhood park, I will do this.
- I will work earlier, not later. No more late night work sessions for my job. If I want to work while Emmett is asleep it will be in the morning.
- I will not drink more than 2 Cokes a day. I’m being realistic here, I’m up to 4 or 5 a day right now (I’m cringing while I type this). Once I get down to 2 a day and I’m comfortable with that, I’ll start scaling back even further.
- I commit to spend screen-free time with Will and Emmett every day. My phone will go on the charger, and Sesame Street will get turned off.
And that’s it. Five attainable goals and commitments to personal growth for a happier and healthier 2018. What are your goals for the new year?